Hertz Contact Mechanics
Calculate solutions for common engineering contact problems - right on your phone!
Hertz Contact Mechanics is an easy to use smartphone app for calculating the contact size, pressures, stresses and deformation between two smooth, nonconforming components. These types of contacts are known as Hertz Contacts and are commonplace in mechanical devices, e.g. ball bearings. Hertz Contact Mechanics is ideal for both industrial engineers and engineering researchers and students. Essential for tribologists and anyone working regularly in Tribology or Contact Mechanics!
- Calculate contact pressures, contact shape and size, load and body approach (and maximum subsurface shear stresses for circular and line contacts).
- Set any parameter (eg load, maximum pressure, contact size) as an input value to calculate the corresponding contact conditions.
- Choose from a list of materials or define your own material properties and save for reuse.
- Choose from a selection of common component geometries or, for any geometry, enter a valid radii combination from a graphical interface.
- Export calculations via email or to your chosen app as a text file.
- Use Imperial and Metric units.
Available soon on iPhone, Android and Windows.